Sunday, July 20, 2008

Adventures in Canada (Part Two)

And here we are for Canada part duex!

Whistler was incredible. I was captain of the blue team for the scavenger hunt that I mentioned in the last post.
The Blue Team. At least we had spirit...

Unfortunately, we lost. By a lot. My co-counselor likes to remind me that if you aren't first, you're last. And we were fourth--out of six. And I have not run that much in a very long time. We were sprinting around the town in circles, and I swear people were planted just to give us incorrect directions. The next day the group split up for various outdoor activities. And yours truly got to chaperon the skiing group! We had to take two chairlifts, a bus, and another chairlift to get to the top of the mountain where there was still snow around, which was a mile up from the base of the mountain. I can tell you that the ride was totally worth it.

On the way up to summer skiing!

Lots of ski teams come to Whistler to train for the summer, so we got to see some kids do some crazy tricks and "catch some sick air". The skiers and boarders up there had some of the coolest snow gear I've seen, so I tried to fit in:

Totally sweet.

Today was another travel day, and tonight we are back in the USA--Seattle to be precise. I took some great pictures at Pike's Pier and at the Experience Music Project, which I hope to post here once I get the film developed (you all remember film, right?). Pike's Pier is the place in Seattle where you see the guys throwing the fish to each other. It's a really cool place with tons of hippies, musicians, little crafty stores--and most importantly the world's first Starbucks! The Experience Music Project is a museum that was originally created to honor Jimi Hendrix, since he was from Seattle (like his band, the Jimi Hendrix Experience. See the connection?) On the bus we found out some pretty sobering news: one of the other buses was in an accident. They are on the same trip we are, just a few days in fast forward. Everyone is fine, and they've all been discharged from the hospital. I know it has been on the news on the east coast, and it's some pretty scary stuff. So everything is fine and under control.

I am now watching the kids play Whirly Ball, which is a cross between bumper cars, lacrosse, and basketball. I'm thinking of opening a branch in NYC, as the game's stupidity screams franchise opportunity.

EXTREME!!!

Next we fly to Salt Lake City, Utah. I'm hoping to run into many a Mormon.

No comments: